Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Patterns!

These snow days are totally throwing off all of my lesson plans! Last week we worked on wrapping up a whole bunch of units we had been working on. Our district has started using a new math series this year, called ConnectED Math by McGraw-Hill. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. The district isn't using the pacing provided by the book, but making their own. It's made it difficult to really use the lessons from the book, which is a shame because they seem okay from what I can tell. Anyways....I've been making a lot of my own math worksheets this year to practice what I teach during math and math stations time. My best lesson of my patterns unit was a very simple lesson on repeating and growing patterns. We practice on the smartboard and then I put the students in groups of 5 students, one group in each corner of the carpet. I gave them a bunch of pattern blocks and they worked together to practice making the type of pattern I called out. It was kind of impromptu but I was really proud of how quickly the grasped the concept! Here's a picture of a growing pattern one of the groups made. They got a little out of control with the length of their pattern! :) 


I'd like to share my first freebie with you! It's a few patterns worksheets I created to go with our unit. They work on repeating and growing patterns and number patterns counting by 2s, 5s, and 10s. You can get the freebie at my TPT store HERE or as a Google Document by Clicking HERE! I hope you enjoy!

My next blog post will be all about Guided Reading! Stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment